Helicopter Accident Attorney in Las Vegas
More than one-third of all helicopter accidents occur within the United States. Because of their design, helicopters are 40 percent more likely to crash than airplanes.
If you were injured in a helicopter accident or you lost a loved one in a helicopter crash in the Las Vegas area, you should meet with an experienced Las Vegas personal injury attorney to discuss your legal options.
Why Helicopters Are More Dangerous Than Planes?
Large jets are usually safer than small private planes, and private planes are normally safer than helicopters. Some of the reasons that helicopters are more dangerous and are often the subject of personal injury lawsuits are:
- Helicopters naturally fly at lower altitudes when the airspace may have more obstructions that can lead to a crash.
- Helicopters can land in spots that are not accessible to a regular aircraft, thereby increasing crash risk.
- Helicopters feature more moving parts than an airplane, which can lead to a higher number of malfunctions.
- Helicopters are more challenging to fly than an airplane, particularly for the novice.
Common Causes of Helicopter Crashes in Nevada
There are many reasons that helicopters crash, but most of them can be traced to one of the following:
- Fuel tanks leaking
- Rotors lose power
- Collision with power lines or similar low altitude obstacles
- Engine stalling or complete failure
- Poor helicopter maintenance
- Pilot error or poor pilot training
- Defective helicopter equipment
- Poor weather
- Failure with air traffic control
Investigating a Helicopter Accident
If you decide to pursue a personal injury lawsuit pertaining to a helicopter crash, whether actually in court or in a settlement, gathering evidence can be the most challenging aspect.
A good helicopter accident attorney in Las Vegas should have an excellent understanding of how helicopters fly, are controlled and operate. A complete investigation of the cause of the crash of the helicopter could include the following:
- Crash site inspection
- Eye witness interviews
- Gaining access to maintenance and flight logs of the helicopter
- Subpoenaing documents from the helicopter manufacturer or the manufacturer of a part
- Hiring a helicopter accident reconstruction professional to serve as an expert witness
- Buying helicopter parts to conduct comparative testing, if a defect in design is suspected as a crash cause
How to Pursue a Helicopter Crash Claim?
In a Las Vegas helicopter crash case, you can either pursue a settlement or litigation. Proving the claim at the settlement table with a helicopter crash often is not that much easier than doing it in court. It is possible you could need to file a lawsuit to motivate the defense to negotiate with you at all.
Although investigating a helicopter crash to pursue a legal claim can be very expensive, keep in mind that your attorney may be willing to take a contingency fee, which means you do not pay unless you win. Also, verdicts and settlements in a helicopter crash case often is large because of the typically catastrophic types of injuries that are involved in these accidents.
There also has been a rise in medical helicopter and air ambulance crashes in recent years. There has further been an increase in the number of for-profit air ambulances, and this is raising considerable safety concerns. There are no rules for Medicare reimbursements on these flights, so it is common that using cheaper older helicopters, reducing maintenance costs, and reducing crew training can make this type of flight more profitable for hospitals. Corporate greed in this area of aviation can lead to more helicopter accidents.
What Our Clients Say
I suffered a devastating auto accident in Las Vegas due to someone else's fault. I was fortunate enough to call LV Personal Injury Lawyers who helped me in the most effective and client-friendly way possible.
If you or a loved one have been a victim, it is important to talk to a licensed Nevada attorney today.
Hurt in a Helicopter Accident? Contact LV Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one was seriously hurt in a helicopter accident, you are likely struggling with serious injuries, or your loved one may have passed away from those injuries. You also could be looking at tens of thousands of dollars of medical bills, possibly funeral costs, out of pocket expenses, pain and suffering, and much more. The skilled and aggressive attorneys with LV Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help recover damages that you deserve.
If the helicopter pilot or company was negligent, you may be entitled to financial restitution for your harms and losses. Please contact our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys today for a free, confidential case review.