Suing for Plane or Airport Accident in Las Vegas, NV
The airline industry in the United States is one of the most tightly regulated businesses in the world. Despite all the federal laws, airline passengers and airport patrons still suffer many types of injuries due to slips, falling luggage, turbulence, baggage claim, and more.
In many cases, Las Vegas airport and airplane travelers can recover compensation for their injuries suffered in flight or on the ground, mainly if the airline or airport is found to be negligent. If that happens to you, contact LV Personal Injury Lawyers to determine what your best legal options are to recover compensation.
Examples of Airplane and Airport Injuries
If you often travel on airplanes in Las Vegas or elsewhere, you are familiar with some potential airplane injuries that can happen every day:
- Items falling onto airline passengers from overhead bins. Some of these items are bulky and heavy and can cause severe head and/or neck trauma. It has been reported that as many as 4,500 people every year in the United States are hurt by baggage falling from overhead bins.
- Beverage carts slamming into passengers in aisle seats. These cars can weigh over 100 pounds and can cause a variety of serious injuries.
- Scalding coffee or tea spilling onto passengers.
- Passengers falling as they walk to and from the bathroom.
- Airline personnel does not react to the medical emergency of a passenger.
As noted earlier, baggage falling from overhead bins and injuring passengers is a serious problem. It is becoming worse because more travelers than ever are attempting to put their luggage into overhead bins to avoid the added fees of checking bags. More bags than ever are falling from overhead bins, and this is leading to more injuries for aisle seat passengers, where lacerations and concussions from falling bags are common.
Airlines Have Higher Standard of Care on International Flights
If you are an international traveler, be aware that airlines have a higher standard of safety towards passengers on these overseas flights. Most countries have agreed to an international treaty called the Montreal Agreement.
This makes the airline liable for an accident to passengers on board while they get on or get off the plane. The airline patron can sue for up to $150,000 without needing to prove negligence by the airline or its workers. That limit can be exceeded if negligence is proven.
Many injuries in flight are caused by turbulence. While airlines cannot usually be held liable for unforeseen acts of nature, if the crew was aware that turbulence was possible, then the injured party could recover compensation if the passengers did not get a warning from the airline crew. So, if the pilot knew about turbulence but did not warn passengers to sit down and fasten their seatbelts, the airline could be held liable.
Where Many Airport Accidents Occur
There are many places in airports where patrons can be injured and the airport held liable:
- Baggage claim
- Jetways, stairs, ramps that are used during boarding and deplaning
- Wet bathroom floors that can cause slips and falls
- Poorly maintained gate areas
- Airport construction and remodeling
- Courtesy vehicles that are used for passengers in the pedestrian parts of terminals
- Curbside accidents
- Tarmac obstacles
- Trams, people movers, escalators and monorail systems
Seriously Hurt in an Airplane or Airport Accident? Take Action by Contacting LV Personal Injury Lawyers
If you or a loved one was seriously hurt in an airplane or airport accident, you could be dealing with significant, potentially debilitating injuries. Additionally, you could be looking at a pile of medical bills and other out-of-pocket expenses that you cannot pay.
Most people with serious injuries in airplane or airport accidents also are unable to work and support their families for months. The skilled and aggressive attorneys with LV Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help. If the airplane company or airport was negligent, you may be entitled to financial restitution for your harms and losses.
What Our Clients Say
I suffered a devastating auto accident in Las Vegas due to someone else's fault. I was fortunate enough to call LV Personal Injury Lawyers who helped me in the most effective and client-friendly way possible.
Please contact our Las Vegas personal injury attorneys today for a free, confidential case review.